(Updated with links to the new products.)
The rundown from today’s Apple event:
We have a new mobile phone, called iPhone 5. The features:
- taller, 16×9 display, 4-inches diagonal. 1136×640 resolution.
- Retina display, 326 pixels per inch.
- 18% thinner, 20% lighter than iPhone 4S.
- old apps run letter-boxed until developers update them.
- LTE, 4G wireless on AT&T, Verizon and Sprint in the US.
- WiFi-N on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz, up to 150Mbps.
- new CPU, the Apple A6. 2x faster than A5 CPU (iPhone 4S chip), more energy efficient.
- longer battery life than iPhone 4S: 8 hours LTE, 3G browsing or talk time, 10 hours WiFi browsing.
- same camera as iPhone 4S, but thinner. 8-megapixel, 3264×2447 resolution. Sapphire lens cover, more durable. Dynamic low-light mode for 2 f-stops more light gathering. 40% faster image capture. Panorama photography built in.
- 1080p HD with face detection, records stills while capturing video.
- FaceTime over cellular networks!
- 3 microphones for voice recognition and noise cancelation. Mikes handle a wider spectrum of audio, too.
- New 9-pin connector, called Lightning. Reversible plug. 80% smaller than existing connector. (Ok, eight pins plus the shield, which conveys ground.)
- No NFC (near-field communications).
- PRICES: same as iPhone 4S: 16, 32 and 64 GB for $199, $299 and $399 on two-year contract. Comes in black and white versions. 16 GB iPhone 4S is $99 on contract. 8 GB iPhone 4 is now FREE on contract. iPhone 3Gs is discontinued.
- Pre-ordering begins this Friday, September 14. Shipping begins September 21 in the US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.
iOS 6 news:
- new, non-Google maps app.
- Facebook integration, same as the existing Twitter integration.
- shared Photo Stream lets you share photos with other iOS users.
- Launch apps by voice with Siri.
- Available September 19.
A new version of the iTunes store will be included in iOS 6. Better presentation of music, movies, TV shows, apps and books. Facebook “Likes” are integrated with product pages. A new Mac and PC version will include iCloud account integration (you’ll see all your past purchases) and will be available late October.
- new 7th generation iPod Nano: very slim and small, 2.5-inch multi-touch display, home button on front, audio controls on side, seven colors. FM tuner with “DVR” pause and rewind capability. Look at photos, watch video. Built-in pedometer. Bluetooth for audio streaming. Uses the new Lightning connector. 30-hour battery. 16 GB for $149. Available in October.
- new 5th generation iPod Touch: 6.1 mm thick, 88 grams weight, brushed aluminum back. 4-inch display, like iPhone 5. Same A5 CPU as iPhone 4S. 40 hours audio playback, 8 hours video. New iSight camera, 5 megapixel with sapphire lens cover and LED flash like iPhone 5. Same video capability as iPhone 5. Same Bluetooth, WiFi capabilities as iPhone 5. No 4G cellular, so this isn’t a shrunken iPad. Includes Siri! Comes in five colors. 32 GB for $299, 64 GB for $399. Available in October.
- iPod Shuffle colors change. That’s it for this one. 2 GB for $49.